Hemorrhoids are also widely known as piles. They occur when the blood vessels in the rectum are swollen. Hemorrhoid veins are located in the lowest portion of rectum and anus and are swollen when the vein walls become thin and stretched by bowels. This leads to inflammation of the veins and causes irritation and pain while defecating and is, at times accompanied by blood. Now that is painful but luckily, not harmful in most of the cases! There are generally two classes or types, that is internal and external.
In the many cases of people suffering from the symptoms of hemorrhoids, there are many natural and discrete options available to relieve pain and inflammation and even cure hemorrhoids without much cost and in the privacy of your home.
Merely bathing the affected area in warm water for 10 to 15 minutes two to three times a day can relieve itchiness and pain associated with milder cases of hemorrhoids. For others, some over the counter remedies are more effective. Creams or suppositories can provide almost instant relief and provide comfort while allowing the affected area to heal.
Natural remedies are also now becoming the choice for treatment for those adverse, or allergic to various medical interventions, i.e., Steroidal creams. Natural cures are quite often the first point of call for many. These can include plant compounds such as the soothing effect of Aloe Vera, to coconut oil and one of the oldest know natural remedies, witch hazel, all of which are only applied with a cotton ball to the affected area.
There are plenty of solutions for curing hemorrhoids, but the first thought in one’s mind should be ”Why to let them occur at all?” People consume and use medications without thinking much about their side effects. There are a plethora of home remedies to deal with hemorrhoids and prevention tips for the same.
- Fiber-rich diet – Eat plenty of fruits and green vegetables to keep piles at bay. A fiber-rich diet will soften your bowels thus easing their movement. Legumes, lentils, beans, whole grains, vegetables like spinach, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc. and fruits like raspberries, bananas, and apples are like manna from God if you have piles. Strong spices, coffee, tea and fatty foods should be avoided in case you have piles.
- Coconut oil- Applying coconut oil topically on hemorrhoids shall cure them after some time. You should apply it directly and then rinse and repeat this till the time they disappear.
- Western toilet seats are usually unhealthy. This is a significant factor causing piles and is often taken very lightly. Indian toilets should be preferred where one has to sit in a squatting position to pass the stool. For piles- ridden people, it may hurt your knees but will spare your anus and give you a proper motion.
- Aloe Vera- The Magical Indian plant is capable of curing some diseases. It can even give you painless stools by softening them if consumed regularly. It can also be applied topically directly to the hemorrhoids.
- Apple cider vinegar- This is yet any another magical remedy for various issues. You can soak some cotton in apple cider vinegar and apply it straight away on the hemorrhoidal area until the irritation is reduced. It should have an instant effect.
- Increase your fluid intake. Drink plenty of fresh juices, but that doesn’t mean that you drink juices in place of solid fruits. Fruits provide you with the essential fiber whereas fresh juices are meant to hydrate your body. Take not less than eight glasses of water daily. Keep a check on your fluid consumption during winters as it usually tends to decrease during the season.
- Keep the hemorrhoid area clean. If you want to reduce the swell, you can put ice cubes wrapped in a clean cloth directly on your hemorrhoids.
- You can also consume Triphala on a regular basis. It is one of the most potent Ayurvedic combinations of herbs especially for people suffering from piles. It also has numerous other advantages.
- Use witch hazel instead of dry toilet paper for cleaning the anal region. It will reduce inflammation. You can also use Venapro pills and spray combination.
- You can also prevent and delay the onset of hemorrhoids by being conscious of what we put into our bodies. A diet high in natural fiber ensures that you visit the bathroom regularly and in turn prevents constipation and puts less stress on our colons.
Medical treatments for hemorrhoids have now come a long way with the prognosis for sufferers being a very positive one. If surgery is the only option, we now have safe and relatively pain-free treatments that require very little recovery time. Of course in many cases, we can effectively treat hemorrhoids at home with a variety of over the counter and natural cures before surgical intervention.